Monday, November 28, 2011

Finger paint


Maybe I should post a disclaimer right here: this is not a post about bread. Those who are looking for a bread recipe should just wait a few more days.  Bread Maiden has a post about biscuits that just needs a few more pictures before it can be published.  Sit tight.

For now, I want to talk finger paint.

When Little Bread Baby gets bored at mealtime, he loves smearing his food around his tray. 


So I was inspired to let him release his creative impulses in a constructive way, and maybe get some art for papa's office.

There was just one little problem.

How can I keep finger paint out of LBB's mouth?

I can't.  And many (most?) homemade finger paint recipes I found online included some sort of detergent or dish soap to give it the right texture and shine.  Even though dish soap is non-toxic, I didn't really know how much LBB would be eating, rubbing in his eyes, etc.

I ended up finding one edible finger paint recipe.

It was here.



The recipe only requires flour, water, and salt.  And food coloring.

I found some all-natural food coloring at MOM's.


Here's what you do.

As you can see above, you need:
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • Saucepan
  • 1 1/2 cups cold water
  • Wire whisk
  • 1 1/4 cups hot water
  • Food coloring

  1. Put flour and salt in the saucepan.
  2. Add cold water and beat with whisk until you get out all the lumps.
  3. Add hot water, turn the burner to low, and stir until it comes to a boil and the mixture is thick. 

4. Let the mixture cool.
5. At this point, you can either leave the mixture uncolored until you want to use it, or color as desired with food coloring.
6. Store covered in refrigerator.

 Here is my chilled finger paint.  After resting for 24 hours, it was pretty thick.  I spooned out about a tablespoon of goo into each bowl, then added about a tablespoon of water and mixed it up until it was the right consistency.


Then I added the food coloring.


The green was a little odd, but fine.  Next time I will probably add more food coloring so the paint is more vibrant.


Here is the work station before picture.


More interested in the newspaper than painting.




Ah well.

I mentioned adding more food coloring to the paint next time, because the colors were very muted.  Still, a good first effort. Once he decided he was interested in the painting, it held his attention for a good five minutes.  I consider that a success!


This recipe also makes a TON of paint, so we will have enough paint for many more art projects!

No comments: